The West Grove Fire Company had a very special visitor this morning. Little two-year old Logan Hamilton and his family stopped by Station 22 to say thank you and to meet the team that helped save his life on June 12.
Just before 8:00 am that morning, Logan began choking while having breakfast with his young sisters at their home in West Grove Borough. It's every parents' worst nightmare, but fortunately this story has a very happy ending.
Parents Zach and Nicole Hamilton immediately alerted Chester County's 911 Center. Fortunately, Logan's mom had CPR training and she immediately began efforts to clear Logan's airway, and continued those efforts until help from West Grove Fire Company arrived.
A crew led by EMT Danielle Hughes, along with Mike Lindsay and Mike Oaster, began to treat Logan, working aggressively to clear the choking hazard. Recognizing Logan's condition, Danielle and her crew began CPR. Shortly thereafter, paramedics Ron Berardocco and Jake Barnes from Medic 94 (Southern Chester County EMS) arrived and joined the crew in performing life-saving measures. They were assisted by Officer Justin Busam of the Southern Chester County Regional Police, and arriving firefighters from WGFC. Also, seven troopers from the PA State Police also arrived to assist.
This team performed life saving measures while transporting Logan to Jennersville Hospital. And, by the time the ambulance crew left Jennersville a short time later, Logan was sitting up and waved good bye to them. Even though Logan had an overnight stay at A.I. DuPont Children's Hospital for observation, he has fully and completely recovered.
Logan's father Zach credits the combined team that saved his son's life, but, most importantly, his wife's CPR training. "All parents of young children need to learn CPR. Nicole knew what to do and stayed calm, and that training meant she could help our son until more help could arrive."
All of us at the West Grove Fire Company are committed to protecting the health and safety of the area community. Watching Logan play in the puddles at the fire station today makes it all worthwhile.